Now keep in mind Minecraft is what I consider a "sandbox" game in which the only limits of what you can do is your imagination and drive. That being said I have never been one for games of this nature but being a huge proponent for home grown games I figured it was definitely worth a look.
Minecraft was brought to my attention by my good friend Ash(AKA Evilash) basically told me that I probably wouldn't like it but it is great way to waste time at work, lol. He also said the game is probably the best thing that happened for individuals with the bug to build things.
You can play Minecraft a couple different ways. By yourself, with friends, and with mobs. Armed with my copy of Minecraft and an open mind I launched into Ash's server to see what this was all about continue after the cut to read about my journey.

My first thoughts about this game were negative based exclusively on the graphics. I am a sucker for pretty things so one can imagine how I felt about the game just by looks.
Looks aside I log onto the latest build of the multi player server (2 months ago) and quickly realize that while the graphics are indeed unique it adds to the feel of the game. Pick in hand I start fooling around in my little section of the Minecraft world. First I start tearing up the ground underneath my very feet, then I went and started mining wood from trees and then rocks from the mountain. I started wandering around and was amazed at how long it took to get from one place to the other and how the weather/terrain would change as I went along. Then God spoke to me....
Well really it was Ash speaking through the console telling me it would be quicker if I took the rail way and then I could get to his fortress. "Right the rail way, wait what??" I thought to myself, so he came in showed me to the train station they had build and we made way to his fortress (don't have a screen shot) passing massive holes he had blown into the world, some on accident and some on purpose. Came across signs placed by another friend of mine clearly stating how bad things are in this cave, I could only guess some sort of mob.
The arrival, it took some time to get there but when we did WOW. Ash had spent hours building a fortress with a room under the water held together by glass blocks so you could see out and it was amazing, I then managed to break one of the said blocks but thankfully he was able to repair the break right away. It was at this point that while the game itself is amazing it was like going to your rich relatives house as a child, you know the one who had the collection of cool toys worth a bagilliion dollars, you really wanted to play with them but were afraid you were going to break them.
In the end gave Minecraft an overall 8/10 review even though I doubt I will spend much time with it again, unless I can find away to play it at work. If you have a creative streak or love sandbox games it is definitely worth it!
- Gameplay 7/10 Very easy to figure out and get started however player will most likely find themselves on the minecraft wiki to figure out more complex recipes later in the game
- Graphics 9/10 I gave it a 9 because there just isn't any way possible to have such a vast world that is ever changing and being built look any better without having it on a super computer. Plus it just fits.
- Sound 8/10 Music is very fitting witht he game and original, I am more of a play mp3s while playing guy but definitely catchy and soothing
- Multiplayer 6/10 The game is still in beta and constantly changing while I was able to join my friends and there are mobs they really don't have much of a purpose. However this game is not about questing and raiding dungeons so I just left them alone. However it has some bugs but they are always being addressed.


No comments:
Post a Comment