I finally got a chance to mess around with PvP in the game and I really don't have much to complain about when it comes to game play or balance. I did not see much "one shotting" going on and the war fronts (Battle grounds) are unique and fun.
PvE is overall pretty fun, this in itself is difficult for me to say since I typically despise grinding in a game but it moves along quick and the scenery changes enough to not bore me to tears. The occasional Rift busts open adding some flavor to what could become a boring grind out in the various areas.
However after all this I am pretty certain I will not be purchasing this game. Being that Rift is subscription based I am just not willing to toss money at something that is only partially what I want to play, after all I just got done doing this with WoW. Read on if you care to know why.
Long story short Rift is a great game! The whole thing is great but there are a few things keeping me from purchasing this and what may keep them from taking over the MMO world.
- PvP lacks purpose. So you kill people, gain "faction", get achievements, and later get PvP specific souls but who cares. Basically there isn't an incentive to win and honestly there hasn't been a game since DAOC and Warhammer that has. I firmly believe that if there isn't a decent PvP model built into a MMO it is a deal breaker for a lot of gamers.
- PvE is pretty good, but I really could care less about PvP
- Seriously, the huge ad campaign they have been running on how they are the anti-wow....well WoW players are in for some serious disappointment. WoW has been around for how many years and Rift comes along trying to up-sell that? I am not a WoW fan boy but they have alot of crap down pretty good and them be some foot steps to follow in if you catch my drift.

No comments:
Post a Comment